|When to Use Measures vs. Calc Columns|
|Written by Rob Collie|
|Thursday, 07 February 2013 21:57|
It's such a fundamental question. When you need to write a PowerPivot formula, which kind should you write - a calculated column or a measure (now renamed "calculated field" in 2013)?
Well, there is no perfect 100% answer to this question. But there are a handful of crucial differences and guidelines that make your choice clear 95% of the time. And the other 5% generally don't matter.
So let's get to those guidelines and differences, shall we?Read more...
Latest Author Articles
- Schrodinger s Pivot, or Why CALCULATE() Should Be Your Favorite Function EVER.
- Repeat Customers in DAX: Three Flavors
- Displaying Top N, Bottom N, and "All Others"
- Blending "Time of Day" Analysis with Calendar/Date Analysis
- SUMX of IF: A Perfect Blend of Simple and Sophisticated