|When to Use Measures vs. Calc Columns|
|Written by Rob Collie|
|Thursday, 07 February 2013 21:57|
It's such a fundamental question. When you need to write a PowerPivot formula, which kind should you write - a calculated column or a measure (now renamed "calculated field" in 2013)?
Well, there is no perfect 100% answer to this question. But there are a handful of crucial differences and guidelines that make your choice clear 95% of the time. And the other 5% generally don't matter.
So let's get to those guidelines and differences, shall we?Read more...
Latest Author Articles
- Complex Customer Cohort Retention Using PRODUCTX
- So Your Detailed/Flat Pivot is Slow and Doesn't Sort Properly? Try Text Measures!
- Excel 2016: Ten Heartwarming Improvements
- RANKX-apalooza: Within and Across Groups, With Filters, Etc.
- Schrodinger s Pivot, or Why CALCULATE() Should Be Your Favorite Function EVER.