SQL Server Analysis Services Multidimensional Model - Merging Partitions with Slice
According to SQL Server Books Online: Partitions can be merged only if you meet all of the following criteria: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms175318.aspx.
- They are in the same cube.
- They have the same structure.
- They have the same storage modes.
- They contain identical aggregation designs.
- They share the same string store compatibility level (applies to partitioned distinct count measure groups only).